Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Thoughts on Facebook

During the commercial break of a football game I was watching this past weekend, the segment where the top or "interesting" headlines of the upcoming news broadcast are announced in an attempt to get viewers to tune in, there was a headline dealing with Facebook. I didn't tune in to the full news story but the headline dealt with a woman who lost her health benefits because of her Facebook account that had pictures posted on it of her living it up and partying in what seemed to be in a bar setting. I hate reporting half truths or incomplete stories but in this case I feel the gist of the story is sufficient enough to make a point. Basically, this woman's indiscretions and bad judgment caused her to loose health benefits because her habits and essentially her life are on the net for all to see. How is that for coming back to bite her in the ass?

I don't have a Facebook, never had a Myspace, nor Twitter. I don't feel the need to place my life or activities for all to see. I too am a very private person and this has nothing to do with being ashamed or a fear of being transparent, its simply none of anyone's business what I do on my own private time. If I feel the need to see someone, I will call them and meet up for a cup of coffee. As far as meeting new people with similar interests, I feel there is so much to be said about meeting someone in person and having that initial handshake or establishing eye contact. I can’t help but feel that is such a great indicator of the type of person they are. Sometimes people hide behind computer screens and lead others to believe they are someone they really are not. We live in a world where anyone can keep tabs on anyone they choose to. God forbid someone get their hands on information they shouldn’t have or worst yet, manipulate the information for their own gain. I don’t have to tell you guys about cyber crime. And now you are telling me Facebook owns your information! I know I'm not the only one who has a huge problem with that.

Corporations have transformed yet they are still up to the dirty, low down, no good, self interest, profit only motivated same crab they have always been up to before. Having said that I will also say “To each his own” and “Proceed with caution.” I’m really not knocking anyone who may choose to be a part of these social networks and I’m aware of all the positive aspects. As a business owner, I’m aware of all the marketing possibilities that can be utilized by joining such networks. Luckily, I haven’t had to join yet in order to compete with other businesses. But I know the day is coming when I’m going to have to because my livelihood and survival might depend on it. But until that day, I think I will hold off.

1 comment:

  1. You're position is very understandable - personally, i'd rather have the book in my hand, or the actual CD or record, than the digital page or the mp3. But in terms of getting information quick and fast, the Internet is the best resource. Its a constantly updated encyclopedia of everything going on around you. The fact that your personal life can be up there is your choice, and no one else. Thats the beauty of it. Its all up to you.

    ReplyDelete